ASTM A500 (Also known as A-500) carbon steel tubing is a standard specification for cold-formed, welded and seamless carbon steel structural tubing in round, square and rectangular shapes. ASTM A500 is the most common specification in North America Hollow Structural Sections (HSS).
The ASTM A500 specification covers cold-formed welded and seamless carbon steel tubing in round, square, rectangular, and “special” shapes for welded, riveted, or bolted construction applications, as well as for general structural purposes.
Round and shaped steel cold formed welded and seamless carbon steel structural pipe.
Standard: ASTM A500 for Cold-Formed Welded and Seamless Carbon Steel Structural Tubing in Rounds and Shapes.
ASTM A500 is a standard specification for cold-formed welded structural tubing produced to round nominal pipe sizes.
- chemical companies
- high temperature
- low temperature resistance
- corrosion-resistant piping systems.
ASTM A500 structural pipe is welded pipe sized tubing made from flat-rolled steel, formed through a roller system and welded using electric-resistance welding. Longitudinal butt joints of welded tubing shall be welded across its thickness in such a manner as to assure the structural design strength of the tubing section.
- OD :10.3-820 mm
- wall thickness: 0.8 to 75 mm
- Length: 6m
In addition, based on customer requirements, which can supply other grades and specifications of steel pipe.
Processing: steel shall be in accordance with one or more of the processing: open-hearth, blowing oxygen, or electric furnace steelmaking, casting of different grades of steel in order, steel producers should determine the intermediate material using conventional procedures removed, a clear separation of a Level.
Manufacturing: produced by seamless or welded steel pipe, welded pipe by rolling made by resistance welding.
The structural design strength of the longitudinal direction of the pipe, the docking application tube is a method of determining the through its thickness to weld.
ASTM A500 steel pipe chemical component(%)
ASTM A500 steel pipe mechanical properties Min (MPa)
|Grade||Tensile Strength||Yield Strength||Elongation|
A500 Grade A, B & C Tubing
Sunny Steel supply square, rectangle, round and special shaped electric resistance welded (ERW) carbon steel tubing to meet ASTM specifications A500 Grade A, Grade B and Grade C that is often used in structural applications. The purpose and strength levels required will determine which grade is required.
Square & Rectangle Tubing
Below are physical properties required to meet the three grades that we produce ASTM A500 square, rectangle and special shaped tubing to. A flattening test is not a standard requirement for non-round tubing produced to A500.
|Grade||Yield (min)||Tensile (min)|
|Grade A||39,000 psi||45,000 psi|
|Grade B||46,000 psi||58,000 psi|
|Grade C||50,000 psi||62,000 psi|
Below are physical properties required to meet the three grades that we produce ASTM A500 round tubing to. A flattening test is also a standard requirement for round tubing produced to the A500 specification.
|Grade||Yield (min)||Tensile (min)|
|Grade A||33,000 psi||45,000 psi|
|Grade B||42,000 psi||58,000 psi|
|Grade C||46,000 psi||62,000 psi|
- According to ASTM A500, the weld seam location for square, rectangle and other special shaped tubing shall not be located within the corner radius unless specified by the customer or manufacturer.
- Under ASTM A500, the corner radius for square and rectangular tubing shall not exceed three times the corner radius.
- As a standard under ASTM A500, electric resistance welded tubing is normally provided without removal of inside flash. If flash control is required, please specify at time of quotation or order placement.
- ASTM A847 is a related structural specification that covers high strength low alloy atmospheric corrosion resistant steel tubing. Please refer to the ASTM A847 page for more information.